Taliban spokesman says three Pakistani soldiers released at Saudi Arabia's request

Taliban spokesman says three Pakistani soldiers released at Saudi Arabia's request

·Hasht-e Subh +3
Reliable
Share

KABUL (Hasht-e Subh) -- Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesman for the Taliban, announced that three Pakistani soldiers captured during clashes with Pakistan have been released at the request of Saudi Arabia.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026 -- the 28th of Dalu in the Afghan calendar -- Mujahid said the release aligns with the Taliban's policy of fostering positive relations with all countries and coincides with the approaching month of Ramadan. The soldiers, captured on Oct. 12, 2025, during border clashes, were handed over to a Saudi delegation.

Mujahid emphasized that the action was undertaken in respect to the Saudi negotiating team, which arrived in Kabul on the previous Monday.

Relations between the Taliban and Islamabad have grown increasingly fragile in recent months amid border tensions and clashes, with the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, including the Torkham crossing, remaining closed to travel.

Pakistani media have previously reported that the Torkham closure has caused over $240 million in losses to both sides.

InternationalTalibanPakistanSaudi ArabiaZabihullah MujahidTorkham

More in International