
Taliban Holding Passports of Three Afchin Company Employees, Sources Say
Sources close to the Chinese company Afchin told Afghanistan International that Taliban intelligence has held the passports of three of its employees for nearly 270 days. The Chinese embassy in Kabul has requested that the Taliban return the passports to allow the employees to return to China.
These sources said on Thursday that the head of Taliban intelligence confiscated the passports on orders from the Taliban Ministry of Mines and Petroleum. The three Chinese citizens can move freely in Kabul but cannot leave the country without their passports.
Afghanistan International previously reported on September 8 that the Taliban had released eight Chinese Afchin employees, who returned to China, while four others remained in Taliban custody. The Taliban canceled its oil contract with Afchin for Amu Darya for unspecified reasons and seized the company's machinery. One Taliban source declined to explain the reason for detaining the individuals.
The Taliban Ministry of Mines and Petroleum announced on June 4 that the 25-year contract for exploration and extraction at the Amu Darya oil field had been terminated due to repeated breaches of commitments by Afchin.
A Chinese source previously stated that the Taliban canceled the contract but is now holding company employees to pressure Afchin into handing over the machinery. The Taliban is using the machinery to extract oil, sources said.
Sources close to Afchin said domestic companies and entities lack the capacity for oil extraction, and the current process will damage production. They noted that Afchin's technology is complex and the underground structure of Amu Darya oil is intricate, warning that the oil will deplete soon.
Recently, the Taliban sent a delegation from its Ministry of Mines to Russia's Tatarstan Republic, requesting Russian companies to take over Amu Darya oil extraction.
Know more about this story?
If you have additional information or believe something is inaccurate, let us know. Your tips help us stay accurate.
More in Economy

Taliban to Form 1,000-Strong Force to Secure Badakhshan Mines

Afghan Commerce Minister Welcomes Indian Proposals for Gemstone Showroom, Pharma Links and Waste-to-Fuel Technology

Over 3,600 Returning Families in Three Provinces to Receive Cash and Wheat Assistance

Nearly 35 Tons of Smuggled Goods Seized in Helmand
ReliableTaliban to Form 1,000-Strong Force to Secure Badakhshan Mines
Taliban governor in Badakhshan Ismail Ghaznavi announced a 1,000-strong force, approved by leader Hibatullah Akhundzada, to secure gold mines amid local concerns over transparency and environment. The initiative aims to protect investments, with revenues earmarked for public projects.
ReliableAfghan Commerce Minister Welcomes Indian Proposals for Gemstone Showroom, Pharma Links and Waste-to-Fuel Technology
Afghanistan's Commerce Minister Nooruddin Azizi met Indian businessman Ankush Satana, who proposed a gemstone showroom, pharmaceutical trade links, and transfer of German waste-to-fuel technology, receiving a positive response.
ReliableOver 3,600 Returning Families in Three Provinces to Receive Cash and Wheat Assistance
The Islamic Emirate has initiated distribution of cash and wheat aid to 3,600 returning migrant families in Parwan, Kapisa, and Uruzgan provinces, providing 250 kg of wheat and 5,000 Afghanis per family.
ReliableNearly 35 Tons of Smuggled Goods Seized in Helmand
Helmand customs officials seized nearly 35 tons of smuggled goods, including medicine and food items, from a warehouse in Garshak district. In Nimroz, authorities destroyed over 7 tons of previously confiscated smuggled items under court supervision.