
Pakistan Yet to Confirm Taliban Release of Three Soldiers
Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said on Thursday that Islamabad has not confirmed the Taliban's reported release of three Pakistani soldiers and is awaiting an official announcement.
The Taliban previously announced freeing the three military personnel, who were detained on October 12 last year during border clashes between forces of the two sides. The statement said the release was in response to a request from Saudi Arabia, with the soldiers handed over to a delegation from the kingdom.
Andrabi also referred to a February 16 attack in the Bajaur region, calling it a "very concerning development." He stated that attackers targeted a security forces checkpoint, but Pakistani forces quickly repelled the assault. The resulting explosion destroyed a nearby residential building, killing one child and injuring seven others, including women and children.
He stressed that Pakistan's statement on the incident is independent and should not be linked to other developments involving Taliban officials and international parties.
Andrabi welcomed the "positive role" of member countries of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in messaging the Taliban not to allow Afghan soil to be used for terrorist activities against Pakistan. He added that such exchanges may have taken place between Riyadh and Kabul.
He rejected speculation about structured mediation akin to previous Istanbul or Doha meetings, saying he has no knowledge of such a role.
Andrabi further claimed that Pakistan holds evidence of India-supported terrorist groups operating inside the country, a matter raised in international forums including the UN Security Council and sanctions committees. Islamabad seeks global action to curb these groups.
Highlighting historical, cultural, and linguistic ties between Afghanistan and Pakistan, Andrabi emphasized dialogue and diplomacy but warned that Islamabad's patience "is not unlimited." Until Pakistan's demand to prevent use of Afghan soil against it is met, "all options remain on the table," he said. Any potential actions would fall under Article 51 of the UN Charter for legitimate self-defense to protect civilians and security forces.
Know more about this story?
If you have additional information or believe something is inaccurate, let us know. Your tips help us stay accurate.
More in International

Afghanistan defeats Canada by 82 runs in final T20 World Cup group match

Kremlin Spokesman Peskov Says No Public Discussion Possible on Trilateral Ukraine Talks

Russian Defense Ministry reports downing 113 Ukrainian drones

Germany: Process of Accepting Afghan Refugees to Gradually End
ReliableAfghanistan defeats Canada by 82 runs in final T20 World Cup group match
Afghanistan beat Canada by 82 runs in its last Group D match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 in Chennai, powered by Ibrahim Zadran's unbeaten 95, but failed to advance from the group stage.
ReliableKremlin Spokesman Peskov Says No Public Discussion Possible on Trilateral Ukraine Talks
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said trilateral talks between Russia, the US, and Ukraine on the Ukraine situation cannot be publicly discussed at this stage. The Geneva negotiations, cited by TASS, lasted six hours on day one and two on day two, with more talks planned soon.
ReliableRussian Defense Ministry reports downing 113 Ukrainian drones
Russia's Defense Ministry claimed its forces downed 113 Ukrainian drones over Bryansk, Smolensk and Pskov regions, causing minor casualties and damage including a fire at an oil depot. The report coincides with ongoing stalled peace talks, per Zelenskyy.
ReliableGermany: Process of Accepting Afghan Refugees to Gradually End
Germany is gradually ending the acceptance process for Afghan refugees with prior promises, leaving around 280 waiting in Pakistan, while canceling promises for over 650 others and offering aid for return or third-country relocation.