Reuters: US Military Prepares for Potential Multi-Week Operation Against Iran

Reuters: US Military Prepares for Potential Multi-Week Operation Against Iran

Amu TV|
Unconfirmed

Two US officials told Reuters that the US military is preparing for a scenario involving a large-scale, multi-week military operation against Iran, should President Donald Trump issue an attack order.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter, said such an action could lead to a far more serious confrontation than previous tensions between the two countries. The disclosures come as diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran continue, including prior talks between diplomats from both sides in Oman.

According to the officials, the US Defense Department is deploying an additional aircraft carrier to the Middle East, accompanied by thousands of troops, fighter jets and destroyers equipped with guided missiles capable of both offensive and defensive operations.

Trump, speaking to US troops on Thursday, said: "Sometimes there needs to be fear. That's the only thing that can really fix things."

In response to Reuters' questions about preparations for a potential prolonged military operation, a White House spokesperson stated: "President Trump has all options on the table with regard to Iran." The spokesperson added that Trump listens to various viewpoints but makes final decisions based on the country's interests and national security.

The Pentagon declined to comment.

The US deployed two aircraft carriers to the region last year during strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. That operation, known as "Midnight Hammer" in June, was described by officials as limited and one-off, involving stealth bombers launched from US soil. Iran responded with a limited strike on a US base in Qatar.

The two sources described current planning as more complex, potentially targeting Iranian government and security centers rather than just nuclear infrastructure. One official declined to provide further details.

Military experts have warned that such a campaign would significantly increase risks to US forces, particularly given Iran's missile capabilities, and could raise the prospect of retaliatory attacks spreading the conflict regionally.

Know more about this story?

If you have additional information or believe something is inaccurate, let us know. Your tips help us stay accurate.

InternationalUnited StatesIranDonald TrumpUS militaryMiddle East

More in International